Do you want to jailbreak your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch? Then understand that one of the important things you should be familiar with is how to put your device into DFU mode. Some of us will be wondering by now what the DFU is all about.
DFU stands for Device Firmware Upgrade and you’ll be sure to see this term again and again in the jailbreaking community.
DFU mode is a state that allows you to put your iPhone to interface with iTunes, but does not load iOS operating system or boot loader. That’s the main difference between DFU mode and recovery mode.
What is DFU mode used for?
DFU mode can be used for multiple things including upgrading firmware, downgrading firmware, and even rebooting your tethered jailbroken device.
Below are the step by step process on how to do it.
How to enter DFU mode:
- Plug your device into your computer
- Turn off the device by holding the Sleep/Wake or Power button and swiping it off
- Hold the power button for 3 seconds
- Begin holding the Home button without releasing the Sleep/Power button for 10 seconds
- Release the power button and continue holding the home button until you get a popup from iTunes that your device is recognized as being in recovery mode.
That’s it, you’re in DFU mode. If you get stuck in DFU mode and need to get out, just hold the power button and home button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears.
Here’s a video walkthrough on how to put your iOS device in DFU mode below:
Thanks for reading! Please share.